Monday, April 21, 2008

Heart Like a Wheel

Reason Number 273 to love Utah:

There's roller derby.

And there's a league with teams named the Bomber Babes, Death Dealers, Leave it to Cleavers (Eldridge or Beaver?) and Sisters of No Mercy.

And you can sign up.

And they have a Flickr photostream.

Roller Derby in the Beehive State....who knew? I will definitely not make fun of this sport. Because these women could kick my ass. Even wearing skates.

I will admit to being somewhat ignorant of the majesty and skillfulness that is roller derby. I don't think that will change anytime soon. But I thought that roller derby as a sport had died out in the 50's except for a brief reincarnation in the form of the syndicated RollerGames. Yes, I'm embarrassed to know that show, but my roommate and I were big fans of the T-Bird Twins.

So skate on down to the malt shop, Daddio and get a burger and a shake before someone nails you over the rail.

2 comments:

Wicked H said...

Admit it, you totally have the DVD Kansas City Bomber circa 1972. Raquel Welch on roller skates - DUDE!

t2ed said...

I can't believe I forgot about Kansas City Bomber. Would have definitely worked in a lame reference had I remembered it.