Wednesday, August 31, 2005

I Don't Think This Is What They Mean By "Ladies Night" aka It's good to be the king


The King of Swaziland (a country with a population of just over a million and slightly smaller than New Jersey) is currently exercising his divine right and picking a new bride. Yup, it's the annual Topless Virgin Parade. I'm not making this up, kids. It's true.

Yes, after an 8 day parade of topless virgins, King Mswati III selects one to be his next bride. This will make an even baker's dozen. Yup, that's hizzoner right there.

Now I don't want to get off on a tangent here, but picking your wife from a parade doesn't seem like the most practical approach to take. But I'm sure those previous 12 picks are all working out fine for Mswati.

I don't know if it's really a celebration of girl power or it's yet another example of the exploitation of women in some bassackwards Third World Country. But let me point out a few facts:

  • Swaziland is an absolute monarchy
  • An estimated 40% of the adult population in Swaziland is infected with Aids (that's tops in the world kids)

I'm sure this Virgin Parade which is a celebration of chastity is intended as a means to combat aids. If you're chaste, you can't get infected, right? But if you're poor and oppressed, what else is there for you to do? Florida is currently experiencing a baby boom from last year's significant hurricane season. It's human nature.

But there is hope, Swaziland's new constitution allows a woman to refuse to comply with customs they don't agree with. Customs like requiring a widow to marry her brother-in-law. Ah, that's progress.

How's that Swaziland Space Program coming?

But seriously, if you're wanting to be taken seriously, you can't name your organization SMEGWA. That's the Swaziland Media Gender Watch.

And the worst part of all this, I've got "Ladies Night" stuck in my head now.

1 comment:

kris said...

I picked my last boyfriend from a parade, but who doesn't? Sheesh.

What do I have to do, comment with MORE BAD PUNS, to get you to visit my blog once a year? Sheesh #2.

At least you could link me and then never visit. Like Dad.