Friday, July 21, 2006

I'm Not Drunk, I'm Fighting Cancer

If this isn't an excuse to drink 17 beers, I don't know what is.

If you're a Beaver, make sure you buy Mad Scientist Fred Stevens a beer or 17 over at the College of Pharmacy.

Funky Fred is studying a compound called xanthohumol. Xanthohumol is one of a series of flavonoids. Flavonoids are thought to trigger cell death to control growth. Thus, your prostate shouldn't swell. Many people don't know that flavonoids are a secret ingredient of Duff Beer. Enough getting our geek on. If you want all the science, go read the article, Einstein.

Not all of Fred's ideas are good ones. He suggests that drug companies could develop pills containing concentrated doses of flavonoid. Don't be such a nerd, Fred! That would keep us from needing to drink 17 beers.

At the very least, you ought to get to have a couple of beers before you get your prostate checked. Is it smaller now? *drinking* How about now? *drinking* Now? *yet more drinking*

This weekend do your prostate proud, kids! Prostate Pride sounds like a pretty good t-shirt.

3 comments:

Spinning Girl said...

Woo hoo!

Angie T said...

I'm drinking 17 beers tonight, and I'm doing it for my prostate! OH. . . wait a minute.

T2ed, thanks for keeping me up to date with news like this. God knows you can't count on the mainstream media.

Elsa said...

Hmmmmm...this excuse doesn't work for me ;)