Friday, January 25, 2008

Bend It Like Bowser

The response to my post about Utah was so enthusiastic, I just had to write some more about my newly adopted state. Did I adopt it or did it adopt me? Whatever. Nevermind.

Anyhoo, Salt Lake has a real live soccer team called Real Salt Lake. There's no mascot. Like the Real Salt Lake Gaysters (hey, check out the uniform over there on the right and tell me that doesn't fit) or the Snoozers (for all the exciting scoring in soccer) or the Hired Guns from Some South American Soccer-Loving Nation Because Our Dang Kids Would Rather Be Playing Xbox.

I can't help it. I've never cared for soccer. And this isn't just some dumb American, there's not enough scoring like real football response. I actually used to play soccer. For one year. That was plenty. We were the crummiest team in the league and used to routinely get abused by other teams especially that team from the Catholic private school that had the kids who were already shaving at 10 years of age. I was one of only two kids all year who scored a goal. We lost every game but one in which we tied the other crummiest team in the other division. It was like a battle of the spazzes. So I hate soccer for a good reason.

But to get the G-man ready for life out here, I'm teaching him to play soccer. Yes, that's his soccer ball. And yes, that is an actual real live tumbleweed right behind him. Remember this is the Wild Wild West, pardner.

So far he isn't much good at heading, but he is good at dribbling. Well, drooling to be more specific. But if the object of soccer were to put the ball entirely in your mouth and play keep away, Guinness would be an all star. No, he still wouldn't wear that queer jersey.








3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Soccer, much like basketball for sort of the opposite reason, is one of those sports that's fun to play but murder to watch. No scoring, plus a huge field that the players just around in for the whole game gets old. In basketball, it's the constant scoring that bugs me--back and forth like a ping pong game.

I'm a baseball fan.

At least they have some sports, though, and the people don't just spend all their time in church (that's how most people picture Utah I think).

Anonymous said...

I believe Guiness' uniform would be a gray mock turtleneck.

T2, for some strange reason, I like the way you think. You amuse me.

Angie T said...

Uh, you moved to Utah?