Monday, December 01, 2008

Blue Christmas

Well, it's finally here. Despite what the retailers have been shoving done your throat since Halloween, it's now safe to discuss Christmas without receiving a boot to the head.

Go ahead and start listening to that lame FM station that only plays carols, it's safe now.

And in Scotland, they're celebrating St. Andrews Day. By painting the sheep blue. Really. That's the celebratory baa boys over there.

The reason for this dye job according to the sheepmaster Andrew Jack is that St. Andrew is the patron saint of Scotland and that blue is the national color of Scotland. And while it's not in the article, I'm guessing liquor was involved. Probably Scotch.

Whatever.

Here in the States, you should be hard at work on your Amazon wish list for all those obscure items you need friends and family to buy you. Because it's up to us consumers to bail out the economy. If you're not giving, and giving extravagantly, the terrorists win. And our economy will suck.

So get out there and get shopping. It's only the rampant consumerism and endless repetition of holiday specials that makes the season meaningful.

Here's my list so far:
  • Every Xbox 360 game released between Oct. 31 and Dec. 24
  • Radioactive spider traps (how else am I going to get my super powers)
  • A real live football team for Detroit (clearly, the Lions aren't working out this year)
  • A singing Elvis robot
  • Bacon Tuxedo (so classy for that New Year's event)
  • Some sweet pirate stuff

Oh, and I'll probably want some stupid stuff too.

What do you want for xmas, kids?

3 comments:

foundinidaho said...

I want everyone to be fine with not getting a Christmas present. Because we're going to London, we really can't afford much. But I doubt my in-laws will understand that. Too bad.

Hope you get everything on your list! I would have said to pick the Jets as your team but then they went and lost.

Rox said...

I want my kid to come home for Christmas. Really, that's all. Maybe a new pair of snowpants too. I'm a simple girl. HAHAHHA!

Anonymous said...

What, no one said a Red Rider BB gun?

I want a shower radio--yep, the kind of crappy gift that you give someone when you don't know what to get them. I actually want it. I also want socks. I'm easiest person in the world to buy for!

I started listening to that lame FM station couple weeks ago :) I love Christmas carols, except "I'll Be Home for Christmas," which makes me want to kill myself.