Friday, February 11, 2005

So Long Farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, Adieu

One of my former bosses is leaving Virtucon after 15 years. She was fab, but is leaving the Great Grey North for warmer climes, a better job, and more fun. That's what happens when you abuse people for too long. They vote with their feet.

I don't think the Big Brains understand quite how valuable an employee they are losing. In addition to handling more than her fair share of work, she was great at developing people. She was able to take one of our more difficult clients and handle him impeccably. I guess that's what comes of being a professional.

What made her such a great boss? She always gave us silly little gifts on the holidays. I think I may still have Easter candy from last year kicking around my office. She protected us from the Big Brains when they didn't understand what we were doing, why we were doing it and what good it did for the company. I loved how when she asked you to take on an additional task she was apologizing for it. I had to cover a video shoot with one of her clients once and she was falling all over herself. I'm used to a boss who swoops and dumps. No apologies, just do it lackey. She was awesome.

We wish her well and are already missing her.

No comments: