Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Oh The Humanity

The West Michigan Whitecaps had a swell promotion Saturday at the old ballpark. They used a helicopter to drop $1000 in cash for kids between the age of 5 and 12.

Except a couple of 7 year olds got trampled and had to go to the hospital. Never come between a 12 year old and his cash. Don't worry, both kids were okay with only minor injuries.

My favorite part of this story, however, is the fine sympathetic response of the team. I mean just because it was their event at their park, you don't really think they're going to take any responsibility do you?

Instead they went with this: "It's for fun and games," spokeswoman Katie Kroft said. "This is why we have everybody sign a waiver."

Oh, they've got a waiver. Well then it's okay that you got a couple of little kids trampled. I'm sure that waiver will keep you from getting sued by some ambulance chaser. Thank goodness there weren't any Easter Eggs in the outfield.

For some reason, the ballpark incident made me think of Les Nessman describing the action as turkeys plummet to the ground for WKRP's Thanksgiving Day promotion. I hope ya'll are old enough to get that reference because it made for truly hilarious tv.

3 comments:

Angie T said...

I am old enough to remember this and widget sales are way down here at work so maybe this something to consider.

Elsa said...

I'm afraid I have to say that I'm old enough to remember WKRP, too! I loved Les Nessman and his make believe walls and door to his make believe office.

And I can't believe that story that you posted. What the heck did they think might happen when you have kids between the ages of 5 and 12 going after cash!?

Anonymous said...

One of the best TV episodes ever!

Why isn't that show in syndication somewhere?