Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Carl & Me

A lot of people don't know much about me. That's because I'm pretty shy, quiet and am a real shrinking violet.

But my friend Carl knows me pretty well. We like to talk about our feelings, government policy, our dreams, pending Senate regulatory committee activity and our aspirations. Plus, he's really hot. That's him right over there.

Here's the last email he sent me:

Thank you for contacting me about video game regulations. I am glad you shared your concerns with me.

Following the Columbine High School shooting in 1999, attention was drawn to the increasing amount of violence to which youth are exposed. As a result, President Clinton ordered a Federal Trade Commission (FTC) study of the rating and labeling systems, as well as the marketing practices, of the video game, recording, and motion picture industries. This study found that while efforts were being made to label products containing indecent material, these products were still being marketed to minors. The FTC survey also found that in many cases retailers were not refusing to sell such products to children under 17. A follow-up FTC report, conducted at the request of Congress in 2001, found that the video game and motion picture industries had scaled back their targeting of minors in ads.

Current video game ratings systems are managed by private companies. In 1994, the Entertainment Software Rating Board developed a system that divides games into five age-based categories. Under this system, video game retailers who restrict sales to minors do so on a voluntary basis. It is ultimately up to parents to monitor what their children are buying.

As you may know, Senator Hilary Clinton introduced the Family Entertainment Protection Act (FEPA, S.2126) on December 16, 2005. FEPA would criminalize the sale or rental of video games with ratings of Mature or Adults Only to people under the age of 17. In addition, FEPA would require the FTC to perform an annual review of the ratings system. This bill has been referred to the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation where it awaits further consideration. Thank you again for writing. Should this issue come before the full Senate, I will be sure to keep your views in mind.

Sincerely,

Hot Carl Levin
Keep on rocking!

Okay, I may have added that last part.

But you can totally tell we're really close friends. Maybe he can come over to my house some time and we could play Grand Theft Auto or Madden football together.

2 comments:

Elsa said...

It sounds like you guys are best buddies. And you are right - he's a hottie. I love when he's on Meet The Press - I just keep replaying his air-time. Is it getting hot in here?

Anonymous said...

WHAT?!! On top of the refrigerator, and you're shy?!!!

Carl's response reminds me of the e-mail I got back from the Britney Spears fan club after I complained about one of her performances.