Saturday, November 11, 2006

ESPNWHO?

I'd just like to take a moment to thank the fine folks at ESPNWHO for giving me my Saturday afternoons back.

If you haven't heard of ESPNWHO, it's by the same folks who brought you Mobile ESPN. You know, the defunct cell phone service that lasted less than a year. ESPNWHO is in an estimated 8 millions homes. Luckily, I'm not one of them.

So I can quit suffering the losses of my alma mater. I didn't want to watch Senior Day on television and see the poor kids who suffered through another disappointing season in which their coach got fired.


You know the same big, tough kids who still managed to tear up when talking about their departed coach.

You know the same kids who staged the biggest comeback in NCAA Division 1 football history.

You know the kids who need to win their last two games to go to some lame pre-New Year's bowl game like the Motor City Bowl.

And a winter bus ride to downtown Detroit would be a real reward for some kids who have never been in a bowl game during their collegiate career because the program is in such disarray.

So thank you ESPNWHO. I'm getting some laundry done while listening to the golden tones of George Blaha. He's the only announcer who lets you know your favorite team is moving left to right across your radio dial. And yes, they're already losing and the starting quarterback was hit so hard it broke his helmet and he's been knocked loopy with a concussion and is out of the game. What a way to end your career. Somehow, that's perfectly fitting for this season.

So that's a lot of stress in my life I don't need.

But I'm not sure if I should be concerned that the cheerleaders new cheer is:

There's no rhyme
There's no reason
We can't wait
For basketball season.

Hope your teams are doing better this weekend my fellow alums.

1 comment:

kris said...

While you thank these nice folks, I'd like to thank FSU Football for giving me absolutely no reason to watch television on Saturday afternoons through December.